- When - Thursday, May 5th, 7:00 – 8:30 pm
- Where - Friendship Public Charter School / Chamberlain Elementary (gymnasium), 1345 Potomac Ave, SE (across from Harris Teeter)
- RSVP - W6DemsRedistricting
To help ensure that Ward 6 residents are able to have their voice heard, the Ward 6 Democrats have invited the three co-chairs of the Council’s Special Committee, as well as Ward 6 Councilmember Tommy Wells, to attend a public meeting on the District’s redistricting plan for the Ward. We’ll share detailed Census data and maps, and facilitate a discussion about the community’s reaction to any proposed changes to the ward’s boundaries.
What’s the overall Re-Districting timeline?
The Council has created a Special Committee on Redistricting to develop and propose a new ward map. The Special Committee is co-chaired by Councilmembers Phil Mendelson, Michael A. Brown, and Jack Evans. Below is a timeline of their scheduled work:
- Monday, April 25, 2011 - Public hearing to receive public comments and recommendations
- Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - Public hearing to receive public comments and recommendations
- Mid-to-Late May 2011 - Special Committee will propose and vote on a new ward boundary map and then hold a public hearing to review and hear feedback from constituents
- Tuesday, June 7, 2011 - Council will hold its first vote on a finalized ward boundary map
- Late June or early July - The second and final vote will occur